FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fireblade - revisiting the hybrid project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 21 at 8:13pm
In relation to grf's post, I think PPPPPP sums it up. Think that's the right number of Ps!
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 21 at 1:11pm
The boat wasn't that easy to right, slippery plate

The joys of a slippery plate. I remember some years ago a friend helping me with a slightly sticky new C/B gasket on my Contender. I was spraying silicone carefully on the gasket and he "helpfully" took the can and sprayed much more liberally around the board.

Next time on the water I capsized (as was common) and tried to get back on the board. Horrendous - I couldn't get a grip on it all all, it was like ice skating. I only just managed to get back on board without needing rescue. My curses could be heard some way off, and were not printable.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 1:43pm
Well, last night I think I've finally managed to make it go as slow as it could be possible even with a chimp sailing it. My new mast doesn't cut it in light and sloppy and I've reverted from rear to centre sheeting so totally f**ked it up. Got overtaken to weather by a Laser in conditions I would normally fly in and totally humiliated on a wavey sloppy reach by an Aero 7, he's just sat there, I'm pumping my balls off and going backwards. So, back once more to the drawing board.

Edited by iGRF - 02 Jul 21 at 1:43pm
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 3:16pm
I do take my hat off to you - forever taking a boat, modifying it, realising that the mods aren't right and apparently being forever frustrated

I'd have packed it in by now

Do you think there is ever a chance that you will resign yourself to the reality that there are some great boats around that perform well, don't fall apart, encourage you to just practise, sail them better and better to win

Perhaps its the tinkering that drives you ?

We are all different

I'm not old but value the hours I get on the water too much to be worrying about constant change and stuff just not working ?

Grumpycat View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by rich96

I do take my hat off to you - forever taking a boat, modifying it, realising that the mods aren't right and apparently being forever frustrated

I'd have packed it in by now

Do you think there is ever a chance that you will resign yourself to the reality that there are some great boats around that perform well, don't fall apart, encourage you to just practise, sail them better and better to win

Perhaps its the tinkering that drives you ?

We are all different

I'm not old but value the hours I get on the water too much to be worrying about constant change and stuff just not working ?

Spot on , couldnít agree more . 
I could never imagine going what grf is doing . Tbh I am fed up with the class I am in at the moment because of the fact it allows different mast, sails, foils etc. Itís not the class thatís the problem , it me. I just donít want to spend that amount of time thinking about these things now, I used to really like it but times change .
Plans are in place to more to a class with a lot less choice  Smile

Edited by Grumpycat - 02 Jul 21 at 6:36pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 6:56pm
I do it because the perfect racing sailing dinghy just doesn't exist, not one, they all have issues, they're either too heavy, are light enough but have crap rigs, have great rigs, but nose dive and have stupid little sticky out bits on the bottom, are to old fashioned, have stupid sails, it's just a world of total imperfection.

This boat wasn't bad, but I felt I could make it better, so far, not. But I should have done it, my rdm mast should be better, but the sail the boat came with, which tbh is a bit of a b**tardisation with a dodgy kink in the leech at batten no 3. Anyway for the moment I'm going back to tin and going to try for a sail cut to match the mast bend curve, if I can persuade local sail making person to wake up before 12noon and get out of bed and make me a f**king sail for this mast.

The thing is, when your a complete racing sailing and tactical genius already, there's not much else to do to keep you amused but f**k about with kit. ;-)

Edited by iGRF - 02 Jul 21 at 6:57pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 7:47pm
Carry on griff  Thumbs Up nothing gets done or altered unless someone goes the extra mile, Barnes Wallis is a perfect example of your attitude, he was ridiculed for his bouncing bomb.
Robert
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 8:11pm
Absolutely. Tinkering is embedded in the history of dinghy evolution.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 9:29pm
But giving the tinkering a chance is also important. Learning how to get the best out of a complex piece of equipment takes more than one sail.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 21 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Grumpycat

Spot on , couldnít agree more . 
I could never imagine going what grf is doing . Tbh I am fed up with the class I am in at the moment because of the fact it allows different mast, sails, foils etc. Itís not the class thatís the problem , it me. I just donít want to spend that amount of time thinking about these things now, I used to really like it but times change .
Plans are in place to more to a class with a lot less choice  Smile

Some try to innovate and are early adopters, this can be very expensive, and in my experience presents the opportunity to live in the racing wilderness.

Others keep their eyes open to trends, and get the right gear once it has been established to be fast.  This tends to be less risky and in the long run less expensive.

An observation is that, if we look beyond fitness, weight and skill set, tinkering with the fit out tends not to offer huge benefits, it is the fundamentals like foils, hull shape and sail shapes that make the big difference, and unless you are prepared to immerse yourself in the process, it is probably best left to the experts with deep pockets and serious sail making and boat building skills.

Chapeau to GRF
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>